What safety certificates do Landlords need? – Warrington Landlords

Warrington - Easylets

Renting a property can be confusing, the law is constantly changing and regulations differ from council to council. The consequences of missing something can be devastating for both landlords and tenants. It isn’t just from a safety point of view that these certificates are needed, without them it makes it near impossible to evict a tenant. As of 24/05/2021, here is a list of what is required by law, to rent your property in England or Wales. (Please note, HMO requirements are slightly different) Energy Performance Certificate (EPC); An EPC essentially tests how economical your property is, from heating system, to windows, to insulation.
Your property must be at least an ‘E’ rating to pass. If your property does not meet the required rating, contact your local council as there are government grants available for new combi boilers and insulation. EPC’s last 10 years, so your property may already have one, you can check the online government database; https://find-energy-certificate.digital.communities.gov.uk/find-a-certificate/type-of-property Gas Certificate Probably the most common type of certificate, introduced in 1998 and covers any gas appliance in the property. Gas certificates last 12 months. Electrical Certificate (EICR) This regulation came into force on 01/06/2020 and required all rental properties to have an EIRC Certificate by 01/04/2021.

These certificates last 5 years and cover all ‘fixed’ electrical items, such as wiring, sockets, light fittings and consumer units. PAT testing will also being required for any appliances. Smoke alarms Although a certificate is not required for warning alarms, you will need 1x smoke alarm on each level along with a Co (Carbon Monoxide) alarm by any solid fuel burners. We also recommend fitting a Co alarm if your boiler is located in a bedroom. Safety Checks There are no set requirements for general safety and no specific certificate, only guidelines, which include some of the following;

  • Handrails on stairs
  • Balustrade spacing being no more than 100mm
  • Plastic coverings on pipes that are likely to get hot
  • At least one escape window on each level
  • Window blind string fixings
  • Tempered glass in internal doors

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us on 01925 633011 or head over to our contact page. Our maintenance team can arrange all of the above along with advising on any safety issues, making the process as straight forward as possible. More information can also be found on your local council website.

We aim to respond to all of our queries in a timely fashion, however if you do need immediate assistance please use the contact information below.

cmp logo
property redress scheme

Quick Links
Meet The Team
> Contact

Enquire Now


Back to the top
Call Now Button